Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Psalm 141:5

This is one of my favorite verses in all of scripture, and so it’s a little surprising to me that I have never noticed that there is a revision of this verse in the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible, but the subtle differences have been both a blessing to me this morning and an echo of things that I have felt in my heart recently, so I’m dropping a quick post to share.

Let the righteous smite me; it shall be a kindness: and let him reprove me; it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head: for yet my prayer also shall be in their calamities. (Psalm 141:5)


When the righteous smite me with the word of the LORD, it is a kindness; and when they reprove me, it shall be an excellent oil, and shall not destroy my faith; for yet my prayer shall also be for them. I delight not in their calamities. (JST 141:5)


P.S.—I think that there is a lot of significance in the fact that the “breaking of one’s head” has something to do with the “destruction of faith,” and that that also relates to the Adversary’s ability to “bruise our heel” and to our ability to “crush his head.” Things to think about. :)