Wednesday, April 15, 2020

"Seek Ye This Jesus" by Robert Smith

About two and a half years ago, I was given the opportunity to record an audiobook. It was a great blessing in my life, for many reasons. The book is entitled “Seek Ye This Jesus” and it is written by Robert Smith. You can find print and Kindle versions on Amazon. You can also find the free ebook and audiobook versions at the author’s website, www.upwardthought.blogspot.com.

Studying the scriptures is analogous to panning for gold. The Bible and the Book of Mormon are full of stories of faithful saints throughout history, and the events retold in their pages are fascinating, entertaining, inspiring, and sobering, but we have to sift through those stories to find the valuable information that pertains to our salvation. Scattered among these stories are principles that are “gospel gold”.  They are found in both large chunks and the smallest of flecks, but they are there.

I told a dear friend of mine that what the author did in writing “Seek Ye This Jesus” is akin to refining gold. He took many of the most pertinent scriptures regarding one’s salvation, organized them into a simple, pure, and elementary form, and handed them to the reader in an easily understandable book.  The information in “Seek Ye This Jesus” would normally take an individual years of study to acquire. I know this to be true from personal experience. The work is an act of mercy on the Lord’s part directed towards men and women from all walks of life who are honestly seeking for truth.

In the Book of Mormon, Alma the Younger once declared:


1 O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!
2 Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth. (Alma 29)


I know exactly how Alma felt. I had the same wish. And the Lord granted me the opportunity to be voice for a book that teaches repentance and the plan of redemption.  Alma also said:


“I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.” (Alma 29:9)


I invite and encourage anyone trying to be an honest disciple of Christ to read “Seek Ye This Jesus”.  May we all “repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth.”